RED BANK BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY
The Red Bank Baptist Church was organized under the name of The Chestnut Oak Grove Baptist Church in the year 1890. The First Church Building was erected with logs in 1905. The first building set atop the white rocks located outside the first church building on Baux Mountain Road. Years later the name was changed to the Red Bank Baptist Church. In 1955 it was decided that a new Church building was needed. Step by step, the new church was erected starting with the basement. In the following years the members were able to construct walls, install windows, and add the roof. It was at this time, our pastor, Rev. Allen died suddenly, and the work ceased briefly.
Rev. John J. Clyburn Sr. was called to pastor in 1963, and the work was started again. The flooring and ceiling were put into the new building and the first worship service was held in the new sanctuary on August 11, 1963. In 1967, two rooms were added to the front of the Church. These rooms were designated as a choir room and office, as well as Sunday School rooms. The Church edifice was then dedicated to God on September 1, 1968. The cornerstone was lain on Thanksgiving Day, 1969. In 1970, a new heating system and light fixtures were installed along with a new baptismal pool and restrooms.
Another remodeling occurred in 1982. A wing was added to the building which included a new Pastor?s Study and conference room. The handicap ramp was added, new windows installed, the entire building was bricked, and a new steeple was set atop the building. As testament to the leadership at Red Bank, a portrait of pastor John J. Clyburn Sr. was hung in the sanctuary. In 1985, our beloved pastor of 22 years, Rev. John J. Clyburn Sr. died suddenly. In June of 1985, Rev. James R. Clyburn Sr. was called as our pastor. Under his leadership, the Church has continued to prosper. We have been able to purchase a Church Van in 1986, build a new kitchen in 1988, remodel the sanctuary in 1992, purchase a minibus in 1997, and build a new Church building in 2005. As testament to his leadership, in 1995 a portrait of Pastor Clyburn, donated by Juwan Thomas, (Rev. Clyburn?s godson) was also hung in the sanctuary opposite that of his father, another portrait of Pastor Clyburn now hangs in the vestibule.
We as a Church have truly been blessed spiritually, physically, and numerically. In 1972, when there were very few men in the Church, three young men stood out and were set apart as deacons. They were Deacons William Harris, James E. Clyburn Sr. and the late Kermit Sprinkle. Although our Deacon Ministry has grown over the years, two continue to serve their Church. We currently have nine active Deacons. Red Bank licensed its first minister, our Pastor, Rev. James R. Clyburn Sr., on October 24, 1981. Since then, the Church has licensed seven other ministers, the late Roger Cherry, Rev. Gabriel Gordon, Rev. Jeffery Scott, Rev. Richard Claytor, Minister Vernell Switzer, Minister Lisa Staley, Rev. James R. Clyburn Jr., assistant pastor, who is the son of our pastor. Being students of history, it must be noted that Rev. Clyburn Jr. was licensed on October 24, 2004, which was twenty three years to the day of licensing of his father, and was ordained by the Rowan Association on July 24, 2008. Understanding history allows us to view God’s providence in this Church building.
On May 6, 2001, the groundbreaking ceremony was held for this church building. On April 24, 2005, we had our first worship service of praise and thanksgiving in our new sanctuary and on May 1, 2005 our new edifice was dedicated back to God. In May 2008, the cornerstone was lain in this building. In October 2008 the parking lot was paved, and then completed on July 8, 2009. On June 6, 2010, our hearts were saddened when our beloved First Lady of 25 years, Deborah M. Clyburn, unexpectedly transitioned from earth to Heaven. We have truly missed her and her dedicated service. As the years have passed, God has blessed us with good leadership, in the person of our Pastor, Rev. James R. Clyburn Sr., our Associate Ministers and a group of dedicated Deacons and Trustees. As we celebrate another year of God’s blessings, we recognize our responsibility to God and to our Fellowman. As the scripture says To Whom much is Given, much is Required. Our responsibility has increased, but we know that we have come this Far by Faith. We will strive to be a VISIONARY PEOPLE, CONTINUING TO WORK GOD’S VISION.